The Weekly Kiki #1: COVID’s got nothin on water polo

rjk9
Saturday 10 October 2020

Hey guys! I hope everyone is having a great beginning to their weekend. My name is Kiki Szemraj and I am a second year on the Women’s Water Polo team. A little background about myself–I am one of the goalies and I study geology at St Andrews. I really like rocks so if you ever see a cool rock please let me know. I will be giving weekly updates on all things water polo for the foreseeable future—so stay tuned, folks.

Everyone has been loving being back in the pool so far this year. Our team recently filmed a flop Friday video that was utterly amazing (go check it out!!). I can’t wait to see more from @ustawaterpolo. I can attest from myself, after not being in a pool since March, the transition to swim sets in St Leonard’s was interesting to say the least. But after lots of blood, sweat, and tears, I can safely say I am starting to get back to where I was physically pre-lockdown. Everyone on the team is enjoying being back in the pool and pushing themselves to grow stronger—even when faced with challenging swim sets. As a goalie, my training often differs from those of the main sets, usually involving weighted balls and weighted jugs guided by Alison, the women’s assistant coach. I have enjoyed working on my hand-eye coordination as well as my physical strength over the past couple weeks and I am looking forward to tackling harder tasks in the future. Outside of the pool, our team also completes Strength & Conditioning twice a week with Callum and Jamie–our S&C coaches! In these sessions, we focus on strengthening various muscles through planks, squats, trap bar deadlifts, and more.

Due to the COVID-19 Pandemic, various new regulations are now in place in Scotland that have altered our training sessions for the Water Polo Club. Although it has been quite a change from last year’s routine, our team has adapted very well to the new regulations that are in place. A special shout out to our COVID Reps who have been doing a fabulous job! Some of the things that have changed are that we are no longer permitted to shower or change in the locker rooms, have lifts to or from practice, and we now have a one-way entry and exit system into and out of St Leonard’s. These protocols, despite being difficult at times, have been implemented as they are the best way to keep our club safe from any potential outbreaks…To be honest I’m just glad I don’t have to wear a mask while swimming!

That’s all I have for you guys this week. Stayed tuned for the next edition of the Weekly Kiki!

A little throwback to last year featuring our writer- front and center (and a little to the left:))

(a throwback from last year featuring the author- front and (left) center)